Off into the wide world – and well protected at the same time

Off into the wide world - and well protected at the same time

A semester or internship abroad are exciting. Don't forget to check your insurances carefully before departure, so that you are covered in case of emergency. Read here what you should pay attention to.

You are going abroad to study or for an internship? Good thing – but only if you are also properly insured. Because you can have an accident anywhere, illness doesn't stop at borders, and in every country there are people who may be after your laptop, smartphone or tablet. So you need the right insurances.

Health insurance is particularly important

First and foremost is health insurance. Making the right choice here is somewhat complicated, because it is not possible to make a blanket statement as to whether special health insurance cover is required. It depends

  • of the country,
  • the type of stay and
  • from a work activity there.

If you stay in Europe, you do not have to worry so much in most cases, because students are covered within the EU and the European Economic Area. Finally, there are regulations between the associated countries. However, the range of services in the destination country may differ from those in Germany. Outside the EU, however, the statutory health insurance does not apply, with a few exceptions such as in Switzerland or Serbia.

The situation can be different when students do additional work abroad. For interns it is even more complicated – here the legal regulations of the country in which you are doing the internship apply.

Insured through the DAAD

Under certain circumstances, the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) can help you with your studies outside the EU. DAAD scholarship holders generally receive a combined health, accident and private liability insurance. But also non-scholarship holders can possibly insure themselves via the DAAD. If this is not possible, the only option is to protect yourself with an international health insurance policy. Advice should be sought on this: Someone who wants to work in a non-European country may need a different policy than someone who is studying.

Also remember the following policies:

  • Accident insurance. It applies worldwide and around the clock, regardless of whether the insured breaks his leg while skating or is involved in an accident abroad. When choosing, you should check whether the insurance also covers salvage and repatriation costs to Germany.
  • Private liability insurance. As a rule, students have liability insurance through their parents. But when you go abroad, it matters what you do there. Because the family insurance is only valid for the first traineeship. So it depends on what you have done so far and what you want to do abroad. By the way, private liability insurance covers you if you have unintentionally caused damage to another person. Example: You want to put a fellow student's tablet aside and accidentally drop it.
  • Homeowner's insurance. It pays if, for example, the home has been broken into and the laptop stolen, or if the washing machine leaks and the apartment is under water. Students are co-insured with their parents as long as they live at home, in a shared apartment or in a student dormitory. If you move into your own apartment abroad, you will have to insure yourself. Exception: You rent a furnished apartment. But beware: There are insurance contracts that are limited in time or limited to the first degree.